I wish I could say that I specifically made this gorgeous Martha dress to celebrate my birthday today, but that would be a lie! Nevertheless, I certainly feel party-ready!
The idea for the dress was inspired by the badly-hacked, much-loved and long-gone Renfrew dress I made nearly three years ago. I was besotted with the luxurious-looking tie-dye velour fabric I used, thinking I'd take another punt at finding it, and BINGO!
I was so delighted it was still in stock that I bought enough for this dress AND a future project, as I can't bear to not have any in my stash. Sad, eh?!?
Predictably, the pattern is my beloved Tilly and the Buttons Martha dress, which I've made four times now. As usual, I omitted the Mandarin collar and used stay-tape to stabilise the waist, but this is the first time I've opted for the bell sleeves. I adore them even if it does make layering up a bit tricky!
Martha skirt pieces are usually cut on the bias, but I had to cut them on the grain due to the pile of my velour. It doesn't hang quite as nicely as my other versions, but it's nice enough.
Despite the fluffy residue and edges with curling tendencies, this fabric is really nice to sew with and has a slinky satin reverse. I was careful only to iron the wrong side on a low heat and it took surprisingly well to finger-pressing when it came to the hems.
I really, really love this dress! I can't seem to put the pattern down and this fabric makes me ridiculously happy...in fact, being back in the sewing seat has done wonders for my well-being so far in 2017!