Well now, there's nothing like a bit of
jealousy admiration to motivate you! After seeing Jane's post on her beautifully finished swing dress – from Casey's swing dress sew-along - I just knew I had to get a wiggle on with mine!
First a disclaimer though: my muslin is a a very cheap and nasty cotton - bought ages ago, before I knew anything about sewing - so please try to imagine the whole thing with a bit of drape. Also, I didn't hem the dress nor did I shorten it enough...so what you see in the picture is just a temporary botch job.
Although the fit's not bad, I recognise that there's room for improvement, so I welcome all handy tips please. Would you, however, agree that I need to:
- Add an inch or so to the front bodice? I made the required alterations for a short-waist, but forgot to account for my ample bosom! If I do this will I have to do the same for the back bodice? I hope not, cause that actually fits well.
- Will adding a bit to the front bodice help to create a more modest cross-over? At the moment I have to wear a t-shirt underneath to avoid exposing myself...any thoughts?
- Take whatever I add to the front bodice off from the midriff piece? Maybe even take a little more off as the midriff piece seems quite wide for a shortie like me?
- Perhaps nip the skirt in a bit? I haven't ironed the skirt side seams down, so is this just wishful thinking on my part?
- I know for a fact that I have to lengthen the tie belt, it knots once, but won't tie into a bow. Did anyone else find this, or have a done something silly?
I'm really happy with the shoulder and sleeve fit though. I don't think I've ever managed to get it this good before and I know it's all thanks to Casey and her expert tutorials...thanks Casey!
I'm hoping to cut out my fashion fabric this weekend! In case you forgot what I'm using, it's a double-sided crepe, but I'm still undecided as to whether to use the shiny or the matte side.
If you're taking part in this sew-along, how are you getting on? Have you steamed ahead like Jane, or are you lagging behind like moi?