I've been down in the dumps my friends. I was banking on sharing the above as my finished object this week, but my sewing machine had other ideas on Sunday. Consequently, I have no finished object and my machine's packed up and awaiting repair. Of course the whole incident sparked a completely illogical, end-of-the-world kind of reaction from me...please tell me I'm not the only one to overreact over something like this!?! I suspect though, that my overreaction was very much a product of the looming deadlines I'm working to...which is a little stressful to say the least. And the fact that I was told the problem is probably down to user error...without knowing what I've done wrong, how do I avoid doing it again?
In the end I had to give myself a very hard, mental slap and acknowledge that this is very much a First World Problem. I have absolutely nothing to complain about! So what if I'm sewing-machineless for a week or so? If that's my biggest worry right now, I'm a lucky son of a gun! The kind folk at Bamber Sewing Machines have even arranged for the machine's collection, repair and return.
So, feeling chirpier, I've made a list of all the things I can be working on to keep myself busy in the meantime. And it turns out there are plenty!
- I'm pretty happy with my Sew for Victory dress muslin, so I can get on with cutting out my fashion fabric.
- I can get on with drafting a dress for my last drafting class - I want to give it a 60s flavour so I can kill two birds with one stone and enter it as my make for Mad Men Dress Challenge 2.
- I've assembled my Archer pattern so I can cut out a muslin.
- I'm giving patchwork a go for a couple of selfless projects, so I have LOADS I can cut out for that.
- I can cut out my second version of my 30th Birthday dress, the fabric's a lot of fun.
- I can get excited about and start planning for an exciting challenge I've been invited to take part on - more on that later this week.
So actually, I'll be lucky to get through a third of all that before my machine's returned to me!
How do you fare in the face of minor 'adversity'? Are you calm and collected or illogical like me? Got any good tips for de-stressing and cheering yourself up?