I love this time of the year and I'm not just talking about the holidays. I find it so interesting reading people's yearly reflections - it's fascinating seeing how productive they've been and their sheer talent and creativity is always a source of inspiration. So as 2012 draws to a close I thought I'd share my own reflections and aspirations for 2013.
First up, some 2012 stats:
- I made a total 24 items, averaging 2 a month. It might not sound like many, but it's way more than I had hoped for.
- If 2011 was the year of the skirt, 2012 has definitely been the year of the top! I made a whopping 16 of them, or 67% of my overall makes.
- 2012 has also been the year of the jersey / stretchy fabric – equalling 15 of my makes or 62.5% of them.
- 2012 was also the year of the Sewaholic Renfrew – I somehow obsessively managed to make 9 of them.
- Finally, only 2 were knitted.
THE KNITTED ONES (both gifts)
THE DRESSES (two in jersey)
THE WOVEN TOPS
THE JERSEY TOPS
MORE JERSEY TOPS - THE RENFREWS
THE LAST LOT OF JERSEY / STRETCHY TOPS
2012 me-made reality:
- Excluding the 2 knitted gifts I made, I only really wear 10 of my 22 items...that's less than half!
- The lucky 10 are my: Picnic at the Beach Tilly Skirt, Hazedale, Pendrell with a 30s twist, Sewaholic Alma Blouse, Tiny Pocket Tanks (here and here), three Renfrews (Flamingo, Stripey and Floral), Animal Print Dixie DIY Sweater.
- I don't wear the others for recurring reasons like bad fabric choice, terrible style on me, bad fit or pure fuglyness.
Lessons learned and aspirations for 2013:
- I'm glad I fearlessly got stuck in with jersey experimentation this year - I feel confident sewing with it and look forward to testing my skills out on some dresses.
- I made a lot of cake in 2012, which is great because what I do wear is in constant rotation. But I want to have some fun with frosting in 2013 - think pretty dresses a la Roisin. If you have no idea what on earth I'm talking about on the cake / frosting front, check out Sewaholic's clever analogy.
- Part of my desire to make more frosting stems from my desire to focus on quality rather than quantity. I feel that this year I made some things just for the sake of it, whereas in 2013 I'd like to slow down and enjoy the whole sewing process.
- As well as pretty dresses I'd also like to make some practical ones too, more smart blouses and maybe try my hand at a jacket or coat.
- I would love to find a go-to skirt pattern. I have a real gap in my wardrobe that desperately needs filling, but I've not yet found a style of skirt that suits my 'interesting' body type.
- Finally, I'd like to knit more.
And that's my 2012 in a nutshell. Can't wait to read about yours!
P.S. There's still time to enter my vintage sewing pattern giveaway!