Sunday, 2 May 2010

Back-buttoning blouse underway

After having successfully completed two dresses, I thought I'd make something 'easier' next and opted for a back-buttoning blouse from 1946. What I didn't realise of course, is that no garment attempted for the first time ever can actually be 'easy'! With it comes a whole new set of phrases and instructions, like  button-holes, dart tucks and bias binding...

Anyway, I seem to be making good progress and would like to share some photos. I'm making view 4 from Simplicity 1906 in a sheer and slightly stretchy cotton, which has a very subtle flower-print in orange, blue and green. I also found the cutest little green buttons!

 
I'm excited to be making something with a peter pan collar and I love how it has a forward-shoulder seam:

  
Gathered detail on the forward-shoulder seam:




And finally, I'm so proud of my dart-tucks (believe it or not it took me ages to figure out how to do them, yet they're so easy!):


Now all that's left is for me to do is trim the collar and sleeves with bias binding, make the button holes and sew the buttons on, sew the side seams and neaten the bottom and any other remaining edges.

2 comments:

  1. This fabric is very very cute, and I am very jealous of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw, thank you! The best thing is that I bought it very cheaply at my local market ;o)

    ReplyDelete